Saturday 30 August 2014

My Heart Smells Rubber

I once heard that hearts are made of glass,
Once broken, unbreaking them would prove more painful,
I went ahead and modified mine, and chose rubber,
So that Cupid's arrow could stick.

You came, with a knock, I welcomed you,
Gave you a special place in my heart, a haven,
To enjoy the warmth of the rubber wall,
Immune and deaf to the cold lonely breeze outside,
I let you throb with the rhythm of my heart beat,
I kept you safe there, because you filled the emptiness.

I walked with you in me, a symbol of love,
Love not made, but grown and nurtured,
A love that I knew would stay, always, if not forever,
The love I forgot living without,
A love that became not part of me, but the second me.

You decided my heart wasn't your dream place of residence,
You felt the warmth was overwhelming,
You couldn't sustain the beat of my heart,
Especially when you took over my mind,
And my heart raced as twice fast.

You pricked my heart, day by day, trying to break out,
But, it was made of rubber, and it came back together,
And your scratches couldn't do a lot of harm, I ignored the pain,
Thinking it was pleasure at its apex.

Then you tore it apart, stretched your hands wide,
Like the Lord on the cross,
And escaped, leaving me with a pain,
For once I wished my heart was of glass,
So it could be broken once and for all, and the pain fade fast,
But mine is of rubber, and I had to stay with the pain from the tear,
And stretch.

Days later, I have healed,
My rubber heart froze with the cold you left,
And the scar became almost invisible.
Now my greater fear is,
Should you want to come back,
Will I sustain the pain of stretching my rubber heart, to let you in?
Please, if you ever think of coming back,
Stay anywhere, but not in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment