Sunday 15 February 2015

Two Shades of Gray

I heard of a voice down the alley,
the first thought was a couple, a whisper of the lady,
taken high by the tight clutch of her man,
also taken high, with lust, like a jet with no parachute,
my conscience held a ceremonial fight with my feet,
like a kid who has been promised candy,
only and only if he doesn't touch the toy.

My feet evidently won the battle,
for the next minute I found myself walking down the alley,
literally creeping,
like whatever I wanted to see held the key to my breath.

The voice grew louder with each step I took,
like I was pumping energy into it,
it was a low voice, the kind you hear on rare occasions,
an indication of extreme emotions or feelings.

Ever observed the antennae of a cockroach when it senses your presence?
I couldn't describe my curiosity any other way,
my adrenaline was moving at paces I trust my feet could never achieve,
my curiosity moved me on and on.

What I saw moved my heart into my throat, literally,
I almost threw up,
a lady lay there, no longer human,
her face covered in her own blood,
I think she looked up to me,
and drew in her last.

No comments:

Post a Comment