Sunday 6 July 2014

A Voice From Lamu

> The Red Cross tweeted the attack before midnight
> The  Police arrived at the scene after the attack

My face tells it all, so does my son's
It was Mpeketoni at first, and we had this fright,
It was our brothers, sisters and cousins,
We thought we would be next.

Let's face it, we thought of our safety, and asked,
And we were assured.
They were poured in numbers, with guns at hand,
Their presence gave us a feeling of hope.
The Police.

But, when we needed them most,
When bullets gained flight into our lives,
When wails infested the night like desert locusts,
When hearts throbbed, grounding us with fright,
When all peace took flight, and crashed with a thud,
Loud, as the knock of the hooligan gun.

They were not here, even after phone calls,
They heeded not,
They came though, after all was lost.
All I do now is shed tears, and let the sun dry them.

I feel a loner, with no more family,
I am promised relief and life, but I can't afford,
I envy those who reside in peace,
Those who live with it;
The peace I know is my neighbour, with a bridgeless river;
As our boundary.

Even after the national prayer,
I knew I would be safe, safe from death,
But God helps those who help themselves,
I am helpless, with false hope that I cling on,
I am left to look at the only bright thing in my life,
The only thing that dries my tears,
The sun.
Fellow Kenyans, why have you forsaken us?

No comments:

Post a Comment